Add to your Valentine’s Decor and learn how to make a decorative Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Garland that you can use to decorate the home and office. The garland is easy to hang around the ceilings and on the windows of the house.
Do you enjoy decorating for Valentine’s Day? You may look forward to this day that is all about showing love to those who mean the most to you. If you would normally purchase decorations from the store to decorate different parts of the home and office, know that you can make Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Garland that looks much better than any Valentine’s Day decor you can find anywhere else. It does not take too much time to make the garland, and it is a great way to use up leftover scraps.
Table of Contents
Reasons to Make the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Decor
While you can buy Valentine’s Day decorations from different stores, it is not the same as making the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Garland. Not only does it look beautiful, but it is something you can keep and store away, using it each time Valentine’s Day comes around. You might even like it so much that you decide to use it throughout the year. You can never go wrong with the decorative heart garland.
Making the stamped garland is fun. It is an activity you can do by yourself, but you might also want to get your loved ones involved. If you have children, they will enjoy helping out with this activity. You can handle the hot glue gun while your children stuff the hearts with the polyfill to make them look fuller.
The Supplies Needed to Make the Valentine’s Decor
There are certain supplies that you will need to make the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentines Garland, including:
*We are Amazon Affiliates and can earn from qualifying purchases.
- Canvas or Tweed Fabric. You can also use any fabric that you like (scraps).
- Thin Yarn. Use thin yarn in Valentine’s Day colors to use as the tassels on your garland.
- Cardboard. Grab a piece of cardboard to work on this garland (great reuse).
- Twine. You will need the twine to connect some of the different stamped pieces together to create this garland.
- Scissors. Make sure you have a good pair of scissors that can easily cut through the fabric before you get started.
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks. Get your hot glue gun and glue sticks ready because you will need to glue pieces of the garland together.
- Cricut Machine. Use the Cricut machine to help you with this process. It does not matter if you have the Cricut Air or Cricut Maker.
Additional supplies needed to make the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Garland include a blue light grip mat, transfer paper, weeding tool, tweezers, Sharpie marker, pen, heart stencil, and polyfill. It does not matter which brand of transfer paper you use.
SALVAGE TIP– Often you can get polyfill from an old pillow you don’t use anymore.
- Canvas/tweed fabric or fabric of your choice
- Thin yarn for tassels
- Piece of cardboard
- Transfer paper (any brand works)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Cricut machine (air or maker)
- Blue light grip mat
- Weeding tool
- Sharpie Pen
- Heart template or stencil
- Step 1:
- Start by tracing a heart stencil or template onto your fabric. You will need two hearts cut to form one stuffed heart. Make 4 finished hearts total (8 hearts cut).
- Step 2:
- Use the hot glue gun and line the inside of the heart as close to the edge as possible and lay the other heart layer on top and seal the edges to complete one heart.
- Step 3:
- Begin to stuff the hearts with polyfill. Once filled to your liking, finish closing up the heart by sealing the edge with the hot glue gun.
- Step 4:
- To create the tassels, wrap the yarn several times around a small piece of cardboard about 3-4” tall and wide (about 20 or so times).
- Cut the yarn and thread another piece of yarn behind all the yarn wrapped around the card, bringing it to the top. Tightly tie a double knot at the top. Leaving enough yarn for a tail, as this will later be used to attach the tassels to the garland.
- Take the wrapped/looped yarn and gently slide it off the card. Tie a tight knot around the top of the looped yarn to create a small head to the tassel.
- Once you have created the head and tied it in place, gather all the loops and at the bottom and cut to make fringes.
- Step 5:
- In your Cricut design space prepare the design with any phrases you would like. One word phrases work best (ex. love, kisses, XOXO, etc.). I’m using the Courier new font to give it that stamped farmhouse look. Adjust the font size to fit on your heart accordingly (about an inch wide).
- Step 6:
- Load your blue light grip mat with transfer paper (we are using transfer paper just as a stencil), adjust your material dial or setting, and hit make it.
- You can use a store-bought stencil if you prefer or don’t own a Cricut machine.
- Step 7:
- Weed out the inner part of the letters. Usually you will want the letter to remain but we will actually be using the outline portion of the letter to use as the stencil.
- Step 8:
- Cut a small strip of the fabric for a patch to attach to the heart with the stamped letters.
- Step 9:
- Attach the cut transfer paper to the small patch (be sure to use your tweezers to transfer the middle of some letters (Ex. o, e, a etc.).
- Step 10:
- Use a sharpie and lightly press over the stencil. Remove the stencil and you will be left with a stamped letter look on the patch.
- Step 11:
- Attach the patch to the middle of each heart with hot glue.
- Step 12:
- Tie the top of the tassels to the desired length of twine you’d like for this garland and cut off any excess.
- To attach the hearts, add a small dot of hot glue to the top, middle, and across the hearts.
Is There a Certain Type of Heart Stencil to Use?
You do not have to use a specific type of heart stencil when creating the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Garland. I did a quick search to look for different heart stencils and found various shapes, sizes, and patterns. It is all about choosing what you like most because this is the garland you will use to decorate your personal space.
Useful Tips to Consider When Making the Farmhouse Garland Valentine’s Decor
If you would like to create the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentines Garland with ease, there are some helpful tips to know. When you have the Cricut Maker, consider using the pink fabric mat to cut out your shapes. Although it is optional, it will save you some extra time and help you get more done with less work. If you prefer a distressed appearance for your pieces, you can cut them out by hand.
If you do not own a Cricut machine, you can still make the DIY garland. You would need to find and purchase heart stencils that you can use to create the perfect shape for the pieces that will get added to your twine. Also, letter stamps would work as well.
When gluing your hearts together, make sure to leave a small spot open at the top. You want to have this entry point to use for the polyfill when you stuff the hearts. If you do not leave any space for the polyfill, the hearts will look flat.
Follow a simple process to create the Farmhouse Style Stamped Valentine’s Decor. You can quickly get the hang of it, preparing as much garland as you want to have for decorative purposes. After putting it all together, start decorating your home and office with the garland to get in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. AND REMEMBER, use what you got.