It’s the thought that counts, right?
Let’s face it, it can be difficult to come up with a meaningful gift.
A gift that someone will keep. One that will be used or treasured. A gift that won't end up in the giveaway pile in 6 months!
Here are 9 Tips for a Memorable Gift Giving Experience
(Plus, a Memorable Gift Giving Guide)
- KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE – This seems funny but really it’s about paying attention to what a person is interested in today. For example, if someone liked clouds and rainbows 10 years ago, they just might not be as in to it now. Look at their home, talk to them, see what they are doing and watching right now. Do they have rainbows towels and bedding or is that so 1995?
- TRIM THE TREE AND YOUR LIST – Buying for too many people can be frustrating to the budget as well as your emotional well being. Do you REALLY need to buy for all these people? A generous spirit is one thing but guilt is entirely different. Don’t gift out of obligation. This will then free you to focus on the ones that count.
- HOMEMADE – Alright, this can get tricky cause there is nothing worse than spending days making a wonderful apple butter only to find that it has never been opened by the recipient. However, if we refer to items 1….we will already know, hopefully, the person, and whether or not they would appreciate canned goodies. We also, #2, will have fewer people to buy for thus we won’t be trying to produce 200 jams for people who won’t eat them. No, the homemade could look like a husband, who has mad wood working skills, making a wonderful bed bench for his wife. A son, who creates a frame for his mom with a picture he made. A little one drawing a picture for their family.
- HUMOR – A gift that makes you laugh certainly can’t help but be memorable.
- THINK OUTSIDE THE GIFT BOX – Has a loved one expressed an interest toward simpler living and yet you want to buy them a gift? What about an experience? Could you gift them a day of favorite activities like looking at pictures and making lunch? Writing a letter? Creating a photo book? Maybe a friend wants to learn to sew and you have skills. A family recipe that no one ever makes because it’s just too time consuming? Gift something you own that someone has always admired/wanted i.e. family broche to another family member.
- TIME, OH GIVE ME TIME – This all can take time. Make your list and check it twice (see #2). Plan as far in advance as possible. Nothing kills a budget faster than last minute gifts. Plus, they are usually ones that just end up being donated.
- LESS IS MORE – Instead of feeling like you need a certain number of gifts, plan on doing one meaningful one instead. Maybe 20 $1 items isn’t the way to go? What if one well thought through gift is best? For example, a person purchasing for a teen goes and buys $20 worth of items from their local bargain store. Instead, takes that same $20 and buys a fancy nail polish the teen has wanted but there was no way mom was spending $20 on one bottle of nail polish! Which is more memorable…. lots of cheap makeup from the bargain store or the one bottle she couldn’t have? She is going to treat that bottle of polish like a precious baby!
- NOD TO THE PAST – Let’s face it…the past generally looks better than the present. We tend to remember the good times. Retro items, past homes, past states someone lived in, childhood items, etc.; those items will bring back all those good times.
- QUALITY – Along the lines of the polish example, buy the best you can….in most situations. Sometimes…..you get what you pay for. Most items that have been handed down, or treasured, or ones that have craftsmanship. They have the quality put into it to make it last. Go find a maker. Find a craftsman. Buy from a local artist. A local baker or jam maker. Imagine getting a loaf of the best bread and jam from the best shops in your town! YES, PLEASE! But notice, not saying it has to cost more; just look for quality!
Here are some additional memorable gift giving ideas for you to consider:
- Hiking Stick
- Unique Games
- Personalized Children’s Book
- Best Coffee and a Beautiful Mug
- Adorable Knitted Unicorn Hat
- Personalized Charm Bracelet
- Unique Rolling Pin
Hopefully, you have found some ideas and possibly gifts, to make your gift giving easier and MEMORABLE! And if you have any memorable gift giving suggestions, please leave them in the comments below.
Now check out some more great gift ideas…