Do you end up with leftover fabric? This Scrappy Denim DIY Boho Necklace is a great project to use up odds and ends in your fabric stash.
As we learned in a recent t-shirt craft post, a lot of donated clothing gets tossed. That’s why projects like this, boho necklace, are a great use of old denim jeans, t-shirts, pillow cases, and/or thrift store fabric.
Oh, and wouldn’t this would be a fun project for kids too?
Here’s how you can make your own Scrappy Denim DIY Boho Necklace:
*Affiliate links are used at no additional cost to you. If you were to make a purchase, we could receive a small amount. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
- •scraps of old denim jeans, cut into 1/2″ strips
- •double stitched seams cut off old jeans, any length
- •strips of old t-shirts or knit fabric cut into 1/2″ strips in different lengths and colors (I used yellow and green)
- •strips of blue and white print, cut 1/2″ wide in different lengths (this was an old pillow case)
- •fabric scissors or rotary cutter
- •sewing machine (optional)
- Cut pieces of denim into 1/2″ wide strips. I used the double stitched seam from several pairs of jeans in different colors. Make sure to cut the fabric close to the seam edge on both sides.
- Using scissors or a rotary cutter, cut additional strips of denim, about 1/2″.
- If using t-shirts, cut strips of the shirts or jersey fabric 1/2″ wide. If the t-shirts are printed it’s even better because the print will add more color to your necklace. Strips can be in any length.
- Cut strips of one print fabric into 1/2″ wide pieces. These should be roughly the same length as your other pieces.
- Pile all the pieces together and look at the colors. You can add or subtract the colors as you wish.
Boho Necklace Assembly
Design your necklace by draping pieces of fabric around the neck of a dress form or on yourself while looking in the mirror. I recently rescued this mannequin from the trash and she has come in pretty handy for this purpose!
Some of the shorter strips of fabric were tied together to make longer circles to drape around the neck. You can tie the t-shirt or knit jersey pieces of fabrics together and trim the ends as needed.
Sew some of the ends of the denim fabrics together in circles to reduce bulk instead of tying them if they are too thick. Layer the pieces around the neck in a circular fashion and down either side of the front neck until you achieve the look you are after.
Pieces can be trimmed in length as you wish. This necklace has pieces that drape almost to the waist.
Use one piece of jersey or t-shirt material to secure all of the loose pieces together at the back neck. Tie the wrap piece on, twist it tightly around all of the fabric strips and make a knot to finish. Trim the ends and hide the knot under the rest of the fabric.
You are all set to wear your creation! Thanks to Salvage Sister and Mister for having me post today!
Isn’t this Denim DIY Boho Necklace great?
Don’t forget to stop on over and visit Jessica, designer of home decor and crafts., at Designer Sweet Spot! Here are just a few of her amazing projects: