Yes, I am that person… I wash and reuse zip bags! Do you?
*Affiliate links are included to show products used. You can see more of our disclosure policy here.
By sowing frugality we reap liverty, a golden harvest. – Agesilaus
Authenticity is the name of the game, right?
When you come to our blog we want you to feel right at home.
You will see the good, bad, and THE REAL.
Without further ado, here is our
DIRTY clean little secret. Maybe not so secret if you know us…
We wash our Ziplock bags.
Yep! We are those people.
And while we are at this confession business, we stick plastic silverware in the dishwasher. GASP!
Here are the reasons why we reuse them-
- They cost $
- It’s less wasteful
- There is soapy water in the sink anyways
Now the reality is, if we weren’t pinching pennies (You can read more about our journey to remove debt here.), honestly, maybe we wouldn’t have started this cause it can be a pain sometimes:
- A collection of them builds up in a real hurry. Where did all these come from?????
- Getting them to dry out, although I do like to cuff them like the pic above or use the tool I use to hold the bags when filling them.
- Having the kids bring them home but then leaving them in their lunch bag over the weekend and then they don’t smell so good.
- Washing it only to find out there is a hole in it…UGH!
In the end, we wash all the bags except the really used (ones that no longer zip) and the raw meat bags.
REUSE ZIP BAG TIPS
- Obviously, the thicker bags (freezer ones) hold up a little longer.
- Did you know you can use the top rack of the dishwasher? Just turn them inside out so the insides get washed.
- Dry completely before the next use.
- Again, no raw meat reuse.
Now you know how we have totally messed up our kids.
The oldest has already proclaimed he WILL NOT do this when he leaves home. Okay, mister rich man 😂
At least they will have great stories to tell their counselor.
Now, if you want reusable bags, we have you covered. Here is a tutorial to make some: DIY Reusable Sandwich Bags.
Do you scar your children and reuse your zip bags?
Here are a few more posts that we think you will enjoy:
Thanks for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home. If you enjoyed this post on why we wash zip bags, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.