Written By: Salvage Sister
Way back, what seems like many moons ago, I attended a women’s retreat at our former church in Arizona. Now I had already know this sweet lady named Linda, but oh boy was I in for a treat! Not only does she have a heart of gold, but she is an AMAZING crafter!!!!
The weekend consisted of all sorts of projects, including painting t-shirts and a fall bead craft.
The woods, a great bunch of ladies, and crafts. What could be better?
Although we don’t live by each other anymore, Miss Linda and I still keep in contact via social media. Recently, I asked Linda if she would share one of my favorite projects she does ~
A Recycled Denim Purse
…and she agreed to share it!
It is a great reuse for a little girls denim skirt and it’s ADORABLE!
Not only is she sharing how she does it, but she created a video so you can go step by step through the process.
I tried to be detailed in my directions below, but if you use her video, you will have all the info you need.
*Amazon links are provided so you can see exact or similar items needed for the project.
- Little Girl’s Denim Skirt (aprox size 5)
- Cotton Thread
- Dressmaker Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- Needles (for jean material)
- Yard Stick
- Smaller Ruler (like in a sewing kit)
- Straight Pins
How To Video by Miss Linda
DIRECTIONS RECYCLED DENIM PURSE
- Wash and dry the skirt.
- Turn skirt inside out.
- If there are elastic size adjusters in the waistband, you can remove them by unbuttoning, remove the button and use for another project. Pull elastic tight and cut it out on each side.
- Sew along the bottom of the skirt to create the bottom of the purse.
- To create corners you can measure 2 inches from the end and fold over the corner and sew a line across (see video).
- For the lining, you will need material that is doubled and larger on each side than the purse.
- To make a pocket on the inside of the purse, you will need another piece of fabric-doubled, in the size of the pocket you wish to create.
- Sew the pocket on two sides. Turn it inside out and iron it.
- Attach to the lining fabric (video time is around 10.27). You can decide if you want two pockets or one large pocket. Sew along the bottom and two sides to attach pocket to lining.
- Sew your lining fabric together.
- Cotton Fabric (soft to the touch) is recommended.
- Measure fabric 44″ x 6″
- Fold one side half way in (the edge of the fabric is in the middle of the 6 inches). Fold and iron the second side.
- Decide on how many rows 2 or 4 and sew your rows.
- Cut the fabric in half and now you have two strips that measure 22′ in length.
- Take one strap, using belt loops as a guide, attach each side by pining it on the inside. (see video tip) You will have about a half an inch or so below the seam (on the inside). You will be sticking right on the edge of the top of the skirt.
Putting it All Together
- Make sure purse is right side out.
- Take liner and place it inside the skirt/purse (with the pretty side being the inside of the purse/making sure your pockets are visable).
- Line up your lining with the edge of the denim and pin all the way around.
- Unbutton and unzip the skirt, and now you can start sewing all around the top to attach the lining to the denim.
Want to save this project? Pin it for later!
Our mission is to assist others in salvaging their time, money, resources, and moments. Here are a few other projects you might enjoy: