*We do link to products on Amazon to share what we use, or could be helpful to you and your projects. We are Amazon affiliates.
Back in 2014, we purchased our “fixer upper” home.
You know how it goes, real estate dictates….. location, location, location.
For what we could afford, we attempted to get a home in the best neighborhood in our price point.
You can some pics HERE, when we purchased the home.
Now, over time, we have fixed up quite a bit of the house.
We still have a long way to go…..
- Front Yard
- Exterior Paint
- Stairs Revamped
- Fireplace Bricks
- ETC (The list is never ending!)
Recently we were digging in our backyard, with a plumbing issue and cleaning a neglected part of the yard, and it got us thinking:
Sometimes when we hear people say they would love to get an old house and fix it up, we are wondering if they really know what that entails.
Don’t get us wrong, our home wasn’t as old as many others. Our issues have been fairly minor and cosmetic, however, there are some real horror stories out there.
Since this is real life, let’s get to some of the realities of a fixer upper:
- Unless you live in one home while you fix up another, you will have to live with the imperfections until you can change them! The reality is that could be awhile. Like bathrooms that could win ugliest bathroom awards for over 2 years, half finished projects as you are working extra hours at your day job, and rooms that you need to function (laundry/kitchen) are difficult to manage in.
- It takes a LOT OF TIME if you are doing it yourself. If you are on a strict budget and work other jobs….it will seem like FOREVVVVER!!!
- While you are doing one project, the rest of the needed projects sit there and, at times, get worse! And right about the time you get to your dream project, some major life event will happen so the budget is no longer there for it.
- You will make mistakes, and have to live with them, cause by the time you get done with the house you will be dead……kidding…….kind of!
- Chances are you will spend more than you think to update, repair, or higher out work.
- You could find bonus issues you didn’t even know you had..SURPRISE!
- You and your spouse GET to agree on all sorts of changes to the home 🙂
- REALLY, REALLY, REALLY try to know what you are getting yourself into. There are some MAJOR issues that you have to be aware of before purchasing a home. If you don’t have the expertise, find some people that do!
- Rarely is a simple project, simple!
Of course, we are so incredibly blessed to have a home to work on!
We wish you all the best in your fixer upper journey, if you should choose to accept this mission. And be sure to tell friends and family where they can find you, at the nearest home supply store!