Do you remember the “preppy” style?
Well, I guess it’s not past tense.
It has come and gone many times over the years. I am thinking of the 80’s though.
****** Please don’t say that it was your parents go to look! ********
Well, I am a “preppy” although not really talking fashion standards today…………
In a professional kitchen it is called, mise en place, which in French means “putting in place” .
Let’s face it, this meal is HUGE!!!
Now some do a potluck, some go out, and some make the entire meal. If you are responsible for some or all of this meal, you will benefit greatly from these next few days leading up to T-DAY.
4-5 Days Ahead
- Make sure the turkey is defrosting if you have a 16lb bird or larger. A cooler can be wonderful for this if you don’t have room in your fridge. There are a LOT of first time T-Dayers that forget to defrost. Although this can make a good story, it can leave you hungry.
- Make sure your menu is nailed down, especially delegating any items others are bringing.
- Make any last trips to the store cause it’s will be a mad house soon, if not already!
2-3 Days Ahead
- Make cranberry sauce/relish
- Any other cold salads or dips
1-2 Days Ahead
- Dry brine or wet brine, whatever your preference get it done.
- Wash potatoes
- Cut veggies for stuffing
- Make pies
- Toast bread (for stuffing if needed)
- Make rolls if you do the homemade route (easy to freeze so can be done way ahead if needed)
- Wash Greens (place in a ziplock bag with a slightly damp paper towel)
- Review any other sides to see what prep could be done ahead as well…candied yams, etc.
Night Before or Day Of
- Set Table (other meals can be grab and go so your table can be ready)
- Chill any drinks, now that you have more room in fridge.
- Make sure you have enough ice
- Make stuffing
- Turkey in
- Cook potatoes (can be held in crock pot to keep warm)
- Prepare casseroles
- After turkey is out put casseroles is and make gravy
Hope this list helps get your “prep” on.
Please add any tips, comments, or suggestions.
What prep do you do ahead of time?