MINI STRAWBERRY GALETTES
Strawberry fields forever…
What is a galette anyways?
A galette is just an open face cousin of the pie. It’s so much easier since the rustic nature of it makes them perfectly imperfect!
In season produce…
One of the best ways to buy the freshest produce is to buy in season. Not only will it taste better, but it will cost less in the process. And bonus, less waste if the food is good, right?
But when is strawberry season?
For most of the country, June is prime time for strawberries. You might also see them in the fall at some farmers’ markets, thanks to ever-bearing varieties that can produce until nearly the first frost. If you do, consider yourself lucky. – Epicurious
SALVAGE TIP– If you have more berries than you know what to do with, flash freeze your fruit to enjoy all year long. Here is how to do just that.
Mini Strawberry Galette Recipe
*We use affiliate links to share the products used. We could receive a small amount if a purchase is made. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Now, I love me some fruit..cough..cough..fruitaholic, but these little galettes are something special.
Galette Pastry Ingredients:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
½ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup full-fat sour cream
1 egg beaten – for egg wash before baking
Galette Pastry Instructions:
- In a large bowl whisk flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the cubed butter. Use your hands to squish and rub the butter into the flour until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Add the sour cream using a fork to mix it into the flour until they are combined.
- Use your hands to form the dough into 8 equal balls.
- Sprinkle dough balls with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Strawberry Filling Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (quarter if large)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. orange juice
Optional 1 tbsp. icing (powdered) sugar for decoration
- Once you buy strawberries, especially farm fresh strawberries, they need to be brought home quickly.
- Only rinse strawberries right before eating.
- This tool, or a paring knife, works great for removing just the stem of a strawberry. – less waste
Mini Strawberry Galettes Instructions:
- Take the 8 balls of dough from the fridge and let sit a couple of minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. In a medium bowl mix together strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and orange juice. Set aside.
- On a floured surface roll each of the dough balls out to a rough circle about 5 -6 inches in diameter.
- Put the pieces of rolled dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Place about a ¼ cup of the strawberry mixture into the center of each dough circle leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. You can use a slotted spoon to scoop out the strawberries so you don’t get too much of the liquid – too much liquid will result in soggy galette bottoms.
- Fold the edges of the dough up so that they just reach the strawberry mixture. Don’t worry if they are not perfect and look a bit messy it adds character.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for 25 – 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with icing (powdered) sugar, if desired (and we totally desire!).
Pastry Instructions Galette Instructions As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pre-heat oven to 375F.
Place about ¼ cup of the strawberry mixture into the center of each dough circle leaving a 1 inch boarder around the edge. You can use a slotted spoon to scoop out the strawberries so you don’t get too much of the liquid – too much liquid will result in soggy galette bottoms.
Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 87mg Sodium: 221mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 5g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salvage Tip – One time I saw someone cut off the tips of the strawberry and threw it away 😲. This is one of the best parts of the strawberry so if you have been taught to cut it off, please don’t! The tips are delicious. And did you know that you can actually use the stems? Here are some things you can make with the tops.