Gift Idea – Italian Dinner Gift Basket
Fun Fact: Did you know Salvage Sister use to own a little gift basket business? Way back in the day I had a little home business -Basket of Blessings. I just loved the creativity of putting together gift baskets and will share the ideas for this basket concept plus tips and tricks from the biz.
Every gift from a friend is a wish for your happiness. – Richard Bach
Here are a few great things about gift baskets:
- Generally, less waste especially if you don’t use the plastic film covering
- Items are usable together or by themselves. Sure someone could use all the items together for a dinner basket or they could use items as needed.
- Baskets are great to reuse for storage.
Alright, are we ready to start building this Italian Dinner Gift Basket? Remember, you can make this as inexpensive or deluxe as you want it to be.
*We are Amazon Associates and can earn from qualifying purchases. If you want more information, you can read our full disclosure policy here.
- Bottom filler (Packing paper, small boxes, etc)
- Top filler (crinkle shred, scarf, etc)
SALVAGE TIPS– The fillers are a great time to use recyclables and such. You can use leftover packing paper, cardboard boxes, etc. This layer is to ensure everything doesn’t sink to the bottom – gives height to smaller items. The top layer can be a useful item such as a scarf or a table runner. You can also make your own colored shred or use leftover tissue paper.
IDEAS TO FILL BASKET
- Wood spoon or fork
- Canning jar (wide mouth for pasta)
- Scrap piece of cloth for canning jar
- Salt and pepper shaker, I wish I would have found these vintage glass ones first
- Silk flower
- Grocery list note pad
- Scrapbook paper, embellishments for recipe card (don’t want to make your own – these vintage grape cards would go great in this basket)
- After dinner mints or biscotti
- Kitchen towel (dollar store find or a gorgeous Turkish towel)
- Quality pasta sauce
- Quality pasta
- Garlic breadsticks or sourdough loaf, homemade or purchased
- DIY Coasters (like these buffalo plaid ones) or another small gift idea
- Basket cellophane shrink wrap bag, optional
SALVAGE TIPS – You could easily use a clean basket you already have. A lot of the non-food items could be found at the dollar or thrift store (properly cleaned of course). For the food, buy the best quality (OR HOMEMADE) for your gift recipient. It doesn’t always have to be expensive but just get a brand/product that will taste good.
- Gather supplies for your gift basket and separate by size (large, medium, and small).
- Place pasta in a canning jar with a scrap of fabric in-between lid to make it look extra pretty great use of fabric scraps).
- Create the recipe card, and any other crafts, as desired.
- As a test to see if you have enough items and if any items are too short, start placing items in the basket. Start with the largest items in the back, medium, in the middle, and some of the smaller in front. You will want to also use smaller items to fill in any gaps in the basket if needed.
- If any items need some height, you will use the bottom filler underneath your top layer. Ie. Wad up some packing paper to place under a small item that might need a boost up.
- Now, lay the top layer over any of your bottom filler, if needed. In this case, a flannel scarf was used. Tip – Whatever you use, make sure it overflows onto the front of the basket for visual appeal.
- Since you did a test run to see how you would want the items placed, you can now fill your basket as desired. Making sure there is a balance on both sides of the basket.
- If desired, place the basket inside of the basket cellophane bag. Tie with ribbon. Use the blow dryer to shrink cellophane wrap.
EVEN MORE FUN GIFT IDEAS
- Office Gift Guide Gifts $10 and Under
- Cranberry Lemon Scones
- No Cost Gift Idea Love Notes from Around the World
Thank you so much for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home and life. If you enjoyed this Italian Dinner Gift Basket post, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.