House Number Sign Using Repurposed Hardware
Hey there Salvage Sisters and Misters 🙂
Hi, my name is Keri and I’m a blogger at Repurposing Junkie. I wanted to say thank you to Deborah for allowing me to guest post on her blog. I hope you all enjoy this project I’m sharing with you today!
This project started when a few months ago we had a family get together at our home. My husband invited his grandfather, who had never been to our house before. Without GPS, and only a cell phone, my husband gave him verbal directions to our home. He also painted a piece of paneling with our house numbers on it, very quickly, so his grandfather could find our house. Yep, we didn’t have house numbers, and his granddad actually said it was the big spray painted house number sign that helped him find our home.
Fast forward a few months and my husband kept encouraging me to stencil some house numbers, and of course I gladly consented to put it on the list of projects I needed to complete. Finally, in my desire to work through my junk stash, I had an idea to use a lot of different hardware pieces to make house numbers instead of stenciling.
Here’s how I did it:
I gathered a lot of the different hardware that has come off furniture pieces and our home remodel, and such. Not pictured are the pile of keys that have slowly collected over the years of moving about.
*Affiliate links used to show same or similar items used. Please see our disclosure statement HERE.
I laid out all the different pieces to form the numbers of our house. At first, I thought this would fit nicely on a big cabinet door I had, but nope, that wasn’t going to be the case. As I formed the numbers they were so big that I had to resort to a piece of 1×10 that we had in the garage to be the canvas for this conglomeration. After I had it all laid out on the 1×10 and knew it was going to work, I took all the pieces off and painted them with exterior blue latex paint, and distressed them using sandpaper.
I also painted the 1×10 with white latex paint. After all the paint dried on the hardware and the lumber, I laid the hardware out again to form the numbers. Then I began attaching all the pieces using a drill gun and screws. Thankfully I kept the screws that came with the old hardware because I ended up needing most of them to complete this project.
Thanks again for having me guest post here at Salvage Sister and Mister! I hope you enjoyed this house number sign repurposed project!
A special thanks to Keri for sharing this great project. She really does amazing upcycles so be sure to follow her on her site, Repurposing Junkie, on Instagram, and you can also see her great projects in this Upcycle Sharin Group on Facebook.