FARMHOUSE TIN CAN VASE UPCYCLE
Often we think unwanted clothing can just be donated to a thrift store however there is an abundance of items that even thrift stores can’t sell it all. Charities, overall, sell only 20 percent of the clothing donated to them at their retail outlets –Newsweek.
So….what do you do with imperfect clothing items you no longer want?
Of course you can use them as rags, but is there more?
The Mister had an old “white” tank top that no longer looked white. It really wasn’t anything the Mister ever wore plus the dingy part. We’ve seen where some people make T-shirt yarn, like this tutorial. We didn’t need to have perfect yarn, to say knit with, we just wanted “kind of” yarn.
Next up, a can – which makes a perfect vase.
When you have a printed can, like this particular one, you can easily just leave it as is. But if you want something neutral, you can cover it up with old ribbon, yarn, or in this case -torn old t-shirts.
Since spring flowers are starting to make their appearance in the Pacific Northwest, a little crafty vase is just what was needed to show them off.
Here’s the very simple how to on this Farmhouse Tin Can Vase Upcycle:
*We use affiliate links to share same, or similar products used.
- Tin Can
- Yarn, T-Shirt Scraps, Ribbon
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- Flowers (real or artificial)
- Take the white t-shirt, that is no longer usable, and cut up, from the bottom about an inch. Then cut over about another inch.
- Holding the t-shirt in one hand and the cut part in another, pull. If the torn part starts to turn, stop, and cut a little so you can keep going – one time all the way around.
- Continue until you have used up most of the t-shirt.
- If you need to, remove any label on the can, and be sure the can is leak proof.
- Take a piece of the “yarn” and glue around the can, starting at the bottom.
- Add your flowers and water, if needed.
Tip – If using water, be sure to place a towel down on any surfaces you don’t want any potential damage to.
Yes, this couldn’t be simpler, but it’s a nice neutral vase AND the t-shirt and can are no longer sitting in the craft room!!!!
CHALLENGE – We challenge you to a craft destash. Find a few things in your craft pile to use up this week. When you have your project completed, share them on our Facebook page. We have a SHARE DAY every Wednesday morning, but you can add your project there anytime through the week.