Revamping a store-bought cake – this Naked Angel Food Cake is a quick and easy change to brighten it up for your picnic, meal, or a special occasion.
My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it. – Boris Johnson
I don’t want to get all political on here, but I am pro cake.
To add more controversy, I enjoy a NAKED cake. Too much frosting is not for me. A good cake shouldn’t need to drown in tons of frosting. I like a nice balance. Agree or disagree?
Recently, we purchased an angel food cake for a family get-together. To jazz it up, I did it “naked” style. Not only is it a great way to add a little oomph to a store bought cake, but it’s super easy to boot.
TIP– Generally I am a “homemade is better” kind of gal. In the case of angel food cakes, there is something to be said for a store bought one. The cake requires so many egg whites that need to be used, that you need to have a plan for all the egg yolks so they don’t get wasted. Also, it’s a specialized pan that takes up room. Go ahead and salvage some time where you can and grab one of those cakes from your store bakery.
- Angel Food Cake
- Cut Berries/Some Whole for Garnish
- Powdered Sugar, if desired
TIP– If you have a few moments, homemade frosting is where it’s at. Check out this recipe for a quick and easy frosting.
- Offset Spatula
- Cake Stand
- Cake Decorating Bag or Ziplock Bag
- Serrated Knife
|LEFTOVER CUPCAKES? HERE IS ONE WAY TO USE THEM UP|
- Take a butter knife and go around the edges of the angel food cake to make sure it is easily removed from the pan.
- Turn cake upside down and with a serrated knife cut as many layers as you want.
- Pipe frosting along the edges of the cake. (like a dam)
- Add cut berries to the inside of the piped frosting.
- Place layers back on top as you go.
- Once all the layers have been put back on, you can begin the naked cake frosting process.
- With your offset spatula, take any of the frosting from the layers and gently start lightly “frosting” the cake. If you get crumbs on the spatula, remove that bit of frosting and get fresh frosting.
- Add as much frosting as you like. I would have done a little less actually, but the cake wasn’t looking quite right with less. In hindsight, I would have done more layers.
- I added uncut berries to the middle of the cake as well as on the side.
- Finally, I dusted the cake and berries with powdered sugar.
BONUS, this naked angel food cake isn’t about being perfect, which I LOVE!!!
|DID YOU SEE THESE ADORABLE LEMON BEEHIVE CUPCAKES?|
Turning a store-bought angel food cake into a special treat. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Naked Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 0g
Turning a store-bought angel food cake into a special treat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply