No need to shudder, here is a great reuse for thrift store shutters.
If you frequent thrift stores, the ReStore, yard sales, or even free piles, you are probably going to find some wood shutters. We have several as decor in our home ….
When we came upon another one, we couldn’t pass it up. They are usually so inexpensive. We decided to give it a new look by turning it into a shelf.
Here’s what we used:
*Affiliate links used to show similar or exact products used. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
- Wood Shutter
- Scrap Wood Piece (wider than the corbels or brackets/longer than shutter)
- Hooks (we used 5)
- Paint and Brush
- 2 Shelf Corbels or Brackets
- Tape Measure
- Cordless Drill
- Drill Bits
- Picture Hangers –if desired… or drill holes on back so you it can lay flat against the wall and use nails.
Here’s what we did:
- The scrap of wood was cut to fit the length of the shutter. We actually didn’t have one the piece o f wood in the width that we needed so we used two.
- Paint any pieces as desired. Lightly sand if there is a coating to prevent paint from adhering.
- On the back of the shutter, add picture hooks to attach to the wall – one on each side to keep it stable. Or you can drill holes so the shelf can lay flat against the wall.
- The scrap wood, shelf, was attached to the shutter with screws-drilling a pilot hole first with drill bits.
- The brackets/corbels were screwed into the shutter.
- To add the hooks, we measured out the distance we wanted the first hook to be at. The same measurement was used for the opposite end. After the two ends had hooks, one was placed the middle between the two (full shelf middle). The final two were placed in the middle of the end hook and the shelf middle. We did use shorter screws, for the hooks, as the ones included in the package were too long.
Thanks for joining us today. We hope you are able to create your own DIY Wood Shutter Shelf.
If you would like to stay up to date with our salvage posts, we invite you to sign up for our newsletter. Any free printables and extras are only offered to our subscribers.
SALVAGE YOUR BEST LIFE!