“Be the light that helps others see.”
Welcome Friends to another fabulous FRIDAY FEATURE (#ssmfeatureme).
Today, we are welcoming Ally from The Peculiar Pear with an upcycle project that not only makes use of old light bulbs but also old nail polish and thrift store necklaces too!!!
Here’s Ally to share how to make these for your garden.
DIY MARBLED LIGHT BULBS DECOR TUTORIAL
“My name is Ally, and I’m a single mum who has realized other people’s rubbish can be re-used and given new life.
I recently switched to energy saving bulbs and thought the old shape ones were cool. Using left over nail varnishes, and knew they were oil based so with a little memory from learning marbling at school, it all came together.
There is a mix of old light bulbs in this garden display. To make them even more beautiful, I added necklace beads from some charity shop.
If you don’t have any old nail polish lying around, don’t worry your friends should have some stuffed in back of their cupboards…lol!”
Here’s what you need to make your own:
*We use affiliate links, at no additional cost to you. This will assist you in finding the same, or similar items used, while we may get a few cents to keep the content free. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
- Old Light Bulbs
- Nail Polish
- Bowl of Water
- Craft Wire
- Beads (from old necklaces)
- String/Wire to Hang Them on
- Clean light bulbs.
- Wrap with craft wire.
- Decorate as you like, beads and such, and add hook/clasp so you can hang to dry.
- Fill a bowl with cold water.
- Add your choice of colored nail varnish/polish (it will separate and float on top of the water). You will only need a drop of each color to start with.
- You can use a toothpick to move the colors around a bit to get the marble look.
- Roll the light bulb on the surface of the water.
- Hang to dry.
- Place in your garden as you like. To do a garland, you would just clasp the bulbs to a wire or string.
Don’t these just make for such a beautiful upcyled yard decoration? A hige thank you to Ally for sharing them. Don’t forget to check out her page to see more creations.
Now, if you decide to make some marbled light bulbs, we would love to see them. You can tag us on Instagram or share your projects on our weekly SHARE DAY thread on Wednesday’s over on our Facebook page.
Before you go, we here are a few more posts we think you will enjoy:
Are you interested in a possible feature here on our site? You can go to our SSMFEATUREME Page for more info.