A thrift store farmhouse barstool transformation.
*Affiliate links are added to this post and we could earn from qualifying purchases. They show like or similar products used. You can read our Disclosure Policy HERE.
RESCUING AN OLD BARSTOOL
Are you a thrifter? What about a “dumpster diver”? Do your friends automatically give you their castoffs? If so, can we just say…
WELCOME, OUR PEOPLE!!!
If you aren’t, have no fear. We will NOT turn you into a hoarder! We are just a group of people that see a little sparkle in that unused item. It’s like an underdog story…… and really who doesn’t like to cheer for the underdog?
Today’s post is a barstool makeover because these plain stools are a dime a dozen. REALLY! From bulk trash pick up piles to yard sales, you can usually find one of these stools CHEAP!
OTHER DIY PROJECTS
BARSTOOL MAKEOVER SUPPLIES
- Chair paint (we used this brand and it worked really well)
- Painters Tape
- Paint for Stripes
- Paint/Foam Brush
- Clear Varnish
DIY Farmhouse Barstool Instructions:
As always, follow all proper handling and safety instructions on each product.
- Clean stool with this if it is grimy. Use water sparingly as too much water can damage wood and separate older glues.
- Lightly sand the piece.
- Spray paint with chalk spray paint or use what paint you prefer. Light even coats, letting it dry between each application. It will depend on how dark the original barstool color and the color you are painting to determine exactly how many coats you will need.
- Once the piece is all painted and completely dry, you can apply the painter’s tape for stripes. A ruler can be helpful if you aren’t good at eyeballing it or want exact lines.
- Apply whatever color paint to create a grain sack look (like we did on this drop cloth runner project). Paint applied to the one center stripe and the 2 side stripes.
- Distress any areas, with sandpaper, if desired.
- Apply a clear varnish, all over, to protect the paint.
Don’t you just love a simple project? Plus, now that poor little lonely barstool has a whole new life.
Thanks for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home and life. If you enjoyed this farmhouse barstool makeover, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.