A wonderful homemade gift idea… this Christmas Ornament Hot Cocoa Bomb for the chocolate lovers in your life ..aka everyone!
Table of Contents
WHAT IS A HOT COCOA BOMB
So are you familiar with this hot trend?
If not, you may be more familiar with bath bombs which are fun little spheres that disappear into your bath and may even have little surprises inside.
Well, a hot cocoa bomb is a delicious chocolate orb that disappears into your drink. They contain hot cocoa mix along with a surprise inside.
Is it a wonder why so many people are giving these as gifts this year?
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT HOT COCOA BOMB
*We are Amazon/ETSY Affiliates and we may earn from qualifying purchases.
- Hot Cocoa Bomb Mold
- 1 cup each of White, Green, Red Candy Melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 12 Rolo Candies
- 1 tbsp Coarse Ground Salt
- 2 tbsp Christmas Sprinkles
Here is a great container to gift them in.
HOW TO MAKE HOT COCOA BOMB
- Place candy melts in separate microwave-safe bowls and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Drizzle, with a piping bag or fork, some of the red candy melts over a few of the molds, being careful to do sets of two that are very similar to match them up for your ornaments. You can do drops, swirls, lines, etc. You can even add sprinkles to some of them for added interest.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer then place 1 tbsp melted white candy melts or green candy melts into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even and filling any gaps with gentle pressure. Repeat with the remaining 12 bomb mold halves. Again, take care that as you do this with the sets you created, so your ornaments look matchy-matchy.
- Place the molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side to make the chocolate slide out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 2 tbsp hot chocolate mix and 6-8 mini marshmallows. Remember to work with only one of each pair.
- Heat a plate in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of the matching filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- Decorate as desired by adding sprinkles around the midline or using a bowl of sugar to roll some of the assembled hot cocoa bombs in to add some additional sparkle.
- Place remaining chocolate candy melts in dollops on top of each ornament then press a Rolo candy on top of the candy melts. To the candy melts that dribble out, you can add sprinkles or sugar.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
HOW TO USE:
To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups of hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
MORE CHRISTMAS IDEAS
We LOVE Christmas here at Camp Salvage. Here are some more posts we think you will enjoy…