Updating 90’s honey cabinets with this DIY bathroom cabinet makeover.
Styles, like everything else, change. Style doesn’t. – Linda Ellerbee
Do you remember when honey cabinets were all the rage?
Well, the Mister’s mom was so OVER IT for her home. It was like so like 1990…REALLY!
She decided to go darker in the bathroom cabinet.
For a surprise, we went over to the house while she was out of town to do a bathroom cabinet makeover.
*We use affiliate links which could earn from qualified purchases. You can see our disclosure policy here.
MAKEOVER CABINET INSTRUCTIONS
- Remove all doors and faceplate.
- Tape off any areas needed.
- Lightly sand the cabinet. Really it doesn’t take very much sanding which is what makes the java stain so amazing. You are just taking a little of the shine off.
- Apply the stain in light even coats-waiting 12-24 hours before each repeat application. You can do as many coats to get the darkness you like.
- With a new foam brush, apply top coat (we did 2 applications).
SALVAGE TIP – Place your foam brush in a zip bag until your next coat.
This really was so easy. It came down to waiting for more than anything else…oh and taping off!
And the best part………the Mother-In-Law loves it!
This certainly is a penny-pinching solution.
A new vanity/cabinet would have run hundreds of dollars.
This cost around $15 ish as we didn’t come close to using up the container of java stain.
She liked it so much another cabinet was done…
Adding some new hardware really makes a nice update to the 90’s honey cabinets.
MORE BUDGET-FRIENDLY POSTS
- The Building of Our DIY Walk-In Pantry
- Under $500 Thrifty Kitchen Makeover
- Hiding a Thermostat With Decor
Thanks for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home and life. If you enjoyed this DIY bathroom cabinet makeover, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.