Create a beautiful, rustic atmosphere on your tablescape with these simple LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE chalky painted mason jar utensil holders.
Who here loves a good mason jar craft? ✋ What’s not to love? They are not only a budget-friendly project but it’s great to upcycle! #salvagethat
For this painted mason jar craft, you will have instructions to make as pictured but never hesitate to make it your own and use what you got!
Where to Find Mason Jars
If you don’t already have your own mason jar collection, here are a few places to find mason jars to start crafting with.
- Thrift Stores
- Free Piles
- Grocery Stores, look for jams and spaghetti sauces for a start
- Social Media
- Freecycle Groups
Where do you pick up your jars?
Materials Needed to Make these Mason Jar Utensil Holders
*We are Amazon Associates and can earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cricut Joy (or Cricut Maker) with Fine Point Blade
- Smart Vinyl, Permanent in white
- 3 Mason Jars, with rims (optional), 16oz
- Weeder tool (optional)
- Americana Chalky Finish (for Glass) in Relic
- Paintbrush, dollar store one works just fine here
- Decorative ribbon (optional)
Painted Mason Jar Instructions
- Gather supplies.
- Thoroughly wash jars with soap and hot water and let them dry completely before using. Wipe the surface of the jars with rubbing alcohol before painting. BTW – Have you seen these reusable makeup pads that you could use for this?
Preparing the Mason Jars
- Apply a thick coat of chalky finish paint to each of the mason jars. Put aside to dry fully and repeat with additional coverage as needed. Leave enough time to dry fully between coats of paint, approx. 4-6 hours.
Creating the Text in Design Space
- Open a blank canvas in Design Space.
- Select the text icon from the toolbar.
- Type LOVE.
- Change the font to “Little White Lies”.
- With the word highlighted, adjust the letter spacing to 0.7.
- Stretch the lettering by clicking on the lock symbol above the size section and adjusting the height to 1.7” while keeping the width the same.
- Next, click on the unlock symbol and adjust the word height to 2”.
- With the word highlighted, click on the “Attach” button.
- Steps 5-11 for the other words: LIVE and LAUGH.
- Select “Make It” in Design Space.
- For cutting the words, set the material type to Smart Vinyl.
- Follow prompts for loading the mat into the Cricut Joy and cutting the Smart Vinyl. When prompted, unload the vinyl from the cutting machine.
How to Assemble the Painted Mason Jar Utensil Holders
- Cut around each word with a pair of scissors.
- Peel away the excess vinyl around the cut images and discard.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape a bit larger than the size of the text.
- Peel away the transfer tape backing but ensure the transfer tape is not overly sticky. Dab the sticky side of the transfer tape with your hand to weaken the adhesive.
- Place the transfer tape overtop of the cut word. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape. Peel away the vinyl backing, leaving just the image adhered to the transfer tape.
Position the phrase with the transfer tape onto the smooth side of a jar and press in place. Press the vinyl phrase down with your fingers to help it to stick to the painted glass jar. Slowly and carefully remove the transfer tape leaving the vinyl image on the jar.
- Repeat for the other mason jars.
- To finish, screw the jar rims onto the necks of the jars, without the discs. Fill with forks, knives, and spoons.
If “live, laugh, and love” is not for you, how about these:
- Eat, pray, love
- Make it easy on your guests and use fork, knives, and spoons
- Share, love, eat
- Family, food, friends
- Blessed, faith, family
- Eat, dessert, first
- Side, main, dessert
*You can find mason jar lid dividers here.
More Mason Jar Crafts
We love mason jar crafts around here. Check out these projects for more inspiration.
- Mason Jar Candy Easter Vase
- Another Cricut craft, Grill Master Gift Idea: BBQ Seasoning Mix Jars
- Holiday Mason Jar Drinking Cup -DIY, you can use for a holiday craft or not
- Cricut Valentine Mason Gift Jar
And if you are a small business crafter, check out these 20 Mason Jar Crafts to Sell.
Ways to Use Mason Jar Utensil Holders
- Sunday brunch
- Backyard bashes
- Make for craft night
- Gift giving
Leave a Reply