Lemons are good for more than just juice. Use the outside to make this most delicious treat- candied lemon peel.
Photo Credit – Unsplash, Ernest Porzi
When life hands you lemonade make lemons. Life will be all “Whaaaat?”
The first Mother’s Day gift I received, in our first home, was a lemon tree.
As anyone who has planted trees for a special occasion can attest to, it becomes a very special gift to see it grow each and every year. It truly was a gift that kept on giving. To make it even more special, it produced TONS of fruit. Oh, and do I adore fruit.
Around this time of year, before we moved, we would spend at least one-weekend picking lemons. We would then juice, zest, and slice the lemons to freeze.
But one of the most favorite things was the candied lemons peels. YUMMMMMMM!
I had so many requests people would pay me to make them some.
Candied Lemon Peel Recipe
- We juiced our lemons and then cut the rind, (no pith-white part) into strips. You can cut the rind off first and juice if you want (3-4 lemons).
- Fill a pan with cold water and add lemon peels.
- Bring to a boil.
- Drain water and repeat steps 3 and 4 three to four times.
- On the last drain, leave lemon peels in the drainer.
- Take two cups of sugar and two cups of water and bring to a boil (stir to dissolve the sugar).
- Reduce heat to low and add in lemon peels.
- Cook for approx. 12 minutes. The peels will look translucent.
- Drain peels and let cool.
- Once dried, take peels (they should feel tacky) and toss in about 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Let air dry for one to two days.
- Store in an airtight container for approx a month. You can keep them longer in the fridge.
If you haven’t tried these, I think you are in for a nice tasty treat!
Don’t forget, you can do this same method with other citrus peels as well.
WHAT ELSE TO MAKE WITH LEMONS
If you have a surplus of lemons, here are a few more yummy recipes:
- Lemon Curd
- Lemonade (LOTS AND LOTS!!)
- Lemon Bars
- Slices of Lemon for Water
- Lemon Juice for recipes and salad dressings
- Cranberry Lemon Scones
- Lemon Beehive Cupcakes
- And here’s a tip on freezing citrus zest.
Finally, sometimes we had lemons that didn’t make the cut to process. Have no fear, we still used them #salvagethat…
When life hands you lemons, play ball.
Our youngest really got a hold of that one.
Now, word to the wise. If you live in Arizona where the sun shines so bright, you may want to take a wet cloth out with you. the lemon juice can sting if you get a lot on.
Nice job, Mister!
Boy, do I miss that tree!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home and life. If you enjoyed this post learning to make candied lemon peels, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.
Leave a Reply