Once upon a time there was a noble vegetable, with a cool head of hair, named Mr. Broccoli. Everyone in all the land loved his green afro. It was his crowning glory.
But one day, he wanted to be known for more than his incredible mane.
He thought, “I have more to give if you just dig a little deeper!”
Back in the village a mere peasant knew of Mr. Broccoli’s magic. Now, to convince the rest of the townsman.
She devised a plan to share Mr. Broccoli’s other amazing characteristics at the annual Crudite Ball where Mr. Broccoli was presented….
ANNOUNCING: MR. BROCCOLI and CHEESE FRITTER
The guests gasped.
They had never seen Mr. Broccoli without his crown of glory!
He was named King of the Ball and was known all thorough out the land as Broccolicious!
In case you have never heard this fable as old as time, you will now know artist formally known as Mr. Broccoli in a whole new way!
Broccoli is great from head to toe, I know……….any Lisa, Lisa fans?
Not only do these Broccoli and Cheese Fritters use up the stalk, that otherwise gets tossed, it also uses breadcrumbs (aka stale bread), and shhhh don’t tell but a tad bit of bacon grease. #salvageresources
But make no mistake, just because this recipe makes use of ingredients some throw away, doesn’t mean they aren’t yummmmmy!
BROCCOLI and CHEESE FRITTERS with Creamy Herb Sauce
**Amazon affiliate links
Recipe makes aprox 10-12 fritters
- 1 1/2 C. Grated Broccoli Stalk
- 1 Lg. Egg
- 1/2c. Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 C. Breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- Pepper to Taste
Creamy Herb Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 C. Sour Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt
- Carefully cut the outer layer off from the broccoli stalk. This is tough and you don’t want to eat that. You can actually see the layers of the tender part and the tough part when you cut the end.
- Place shredded broccoli over a strainer and press down with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture.
- In a small bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, breadcrumbs, and seasoning to taste.
- Heat a medium skillet to med-high heat and add a bit of choice of oil (bacon grease, canola oil, vegetable oil).
- In hands, form a thin flattened patty.
- Add one small patty to taste for seasoning.
- Cook patties aprox 2-3 minutes on each side. You should see edges turn golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine chives, sour cream, and seasoning to taste.
We hope Broccolicious’ tale will continue to be told generation after generation.
Here are a few of our top recipes:
Check out more amazing broccoli recipes: