Sharing some blackberry picking tips and ways to flash freeze them to enjoy them all year long!
Life was just a tire swiwng, ‘jumbalaya’ was the only song I could sing, blackberry pickin/, eating fried chicken, and I never knew a thing about pain. Life was just a tire swing. – Jimmy Buffett
Blackberry picking is pretty commonplace here in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) during the summer months.
They pretty much grow EVERYWHERE…even where you don’t want them to.
People have a love-hate relationship with these bushes as they are invasive.
But boy do they create some tasty fruit!!!
Table of Contents
BLACKBERRY PICKING TIPS
- BRING WATER – Blackberry picking in these parts starts in late August, for the most part, and you will need plenty of water as it’s warm.
- WEAR LONG PANTS AND LONG SHIRT -? Ahhhhh, you just said it’s warm out! Yes, it’s warm but those bushes are beasts. Wear light clothing but protect yourself through these bushes. And make it something you don’t care if it gets ruined.
- DON’T GO JUST ANYWHERE – Some cities and individuals spray these bushes with toxic chemicals cause they grow so rampant. Know where you are picking. And if you don’t know the area well enough, ask the locals. They will know where to pick and more importantly where not to!
- PICK HIGH – These berries grow great by the rivers and people and animals tend to use the bathroom lower rather than higher. SORRY!
- PULL A MICHAEL JACKSON – A one glove look can really be helpful. With the gloved hand, you can pull back a section of that thorny bush. With the non-glove hand, you can pick away.
- GRAB LOTS OF CONTAINERS – A rinsed out milk jug with the top partially cut and the handle intake is a good move. SALVAGED STYLE. It’s great to reuse and it works well if you want to attach it to a belt for a hands-free picking experience. BUT, bring as many boxes as you can cause you will fill them up!!!
- MAKE SURE THEY ARE READY TO PICK – This may seem like a no brainer but check around a few spots to see if the berries are ready to go.
- GO BY THE WATER – Plants need water so it only stands to reason that they will be better there.
- WILDLIFE – Watch for any wildlife that may enjoy those berries as much as you do.
- MAKE A DAY OF IT -It’s a great outing to do with your family and/or friends so why not grab a picnic and head on out? But you may want to put a time limit cause once you get picking, it becomes addicting and it’s hard to leave.
|WANT TO SEE MORE OF OUR BEAUTIFUL STATE? CHECK OUT THESE POSTS: A Weekend in Astoria, Oregon, and Visit Natural Bridge Southern Oregon
FLASH FREEZING YOUR BERRIES
Now that you have your abundance of blackberries, what do you do with them? You can make jams, eat them, and then flash freeze them so they are ready to use throughout the year.
- Wash all the berries and drain very well.
- Remove any stems, thorns, or other goodies that you don’t want to eat.
- Lay the berries out, in one layer, on a parchment-lined cookie sheet…one a tray that will fit in your freezer.
- After the berries are INDIVIDUALLY FROZEN, grab a freezer bag and label/date it with what it is (yes, you may forget once it’s frozen).
- Fill the bag with your frozen berries.
Just think…blackberry cobbler, smoothies, pie, or this blackberry parfait…
BTW- You can do this with most fruits.
So, are you going blackberry picking this season?
MORE SALVAGED FOOD TIPS & RECIPES
Here are a few more posts we think you will enjoy:
Thanks for stopping by today. Our goal is to help make the most with whatever you have by sharing budget-friendly, time-saving, and reusing/DIY ideas for all parts of your home and life. If you enjoyed learning some blackberry picking tips, we would appreciate a share on any social media: Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Plus, don’t forget to follow us as we share even more ideas on each account.