“GOD DOESN’T MAKE ORANGE JUICE, GOD MAKES ORANGES.”
– Jessie Jackson
Oh sure, overripe bananas get all the glory with their banana bread, desserts, and smoothie options…….. BUT don’t
discount discard those overripe oranges.
A quick note before we begin…. not all ugly fruit taste bad. Just because it might not be picture perfect, doesn’t mean it won’t taste good. Cut it open, smell it, give it a try. It may still be okay to eat.
If not, then here we go…………….
*We do use affiliate links in this post to show products we recommend. We could receive a small amount if a purchase is made. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Here are 7 Uses for Overripe Oranges…..
1. POMANDER BALL
2. CITRUS CLEANER
Here is a video tutorial on how to make your own…………..
- When making your own cleaners, glass bottles are non-reactive.
- Amber bottles, like these, are often recommended to eliminate light decomposing especially in essential oils.
- If you want to upcycle your glass vinegar bottles, here is a great tutorial, and here are the nozzles you will need.
- Keep in a cool, dark area.
- Make sure your surface can have a citrus based cleaner first.
3. DRIED ORANGE GARLAND
Sara, Twelve on Main, shares this beautiful garland that can be used all year long. Isn’t it gorgeous? With a food dehydrator, or an oven, you can make these beautiful dried orange slices for a garland or ornaments.
4. STOVE POTPOURRI
I Heart Naptime did this stove top potpourri. You can customize with scents you like and items you need to use up, like we did here. I recommend getting a small pot from the thrift store to use so any residual oils won’t transfer to foods. And always keep an eye on your stove.
5. DRIED ORANGE PEELS
You can use dried orange peels for a variety of items (how to dry here):
6. ORANGE SLICES IN YOUR BATHWATER
What an easy way to use up oranges than to slice them up and place them in the bath. Citrus is an exfoliant (here are some additional info on the benefits).
7. CLEAN A MICROWAVE
ADDITIONAL TIPS,INFO, and USES:
- Storing your oranges in the refrigerator can extend their life up to two months vs. a couple of weeks on the counter.
- Young children may like to make some boats like these.
- If you can’t use them in any of these applications, one of the best things we’ve done is set up a lazy compost area, and we use a compost bucket in our kitchen. We will be sharing more about this soon.
- Some plumbers feel that using citrus peels in your garbage disposal, as often recommend, can give you problems.
- Here are more beauty ideas.
- Did you know that trashed produce is really not good at all? Uneaten food that ends up rotting in landfills is a large producer of methane. Food waste is a loss of financial , water, and land resources. By reducing that waste, we can help use those resources more wisely.
If there is a food item you often throw away, please share it with us. We may be able to help, or possibly do a future posts/ideas. And remember, we are all trying to do our best with what we have, and are at different parts of the journey, so no shame in the game!