Well there certainly was a bit of craziness around the “Hatch Animals” this past Christmas. Some people were trying to sell them for over $500!!!!! Yikes!
Since not every kiddo was able to get one, we thought a Hatch Animal Valentine would be perfect this Valentine’s Day or even a rainy day craft.
BONUS: You can upcycle your Easter Eggs for this project.
*Affiliate links used. Please see our Disclosure Policy HERE.
- Easter Eggs
- White (eggshell color) Craft Paint
- Fine Paint Brush
- Craft Paint – for dots (2 other colors like yellow/pink , blue/green, or pink/black)
Animals (X by the number you need- this makes one animal):
- Hot Glue Gun / Glue
- Medium Pom Pom
- Small Pom Pom
- Two Eyes
- Felt (oval – slightly larger than eyes and for beak)
- Feathers for wings (cut in half or to size, if needed)
HATCH ANIMAL VALENTINE INSTRUCTIONS
- Take plastic egg and paint it white/beige (eggshell). Let dry.
- While egg is drying make animal.
- Glue (with hot glue gun) medium pom pom on top of a larger pom pom of the same color.
- Cut an oval slightly larger than the eyes and glue to medium (top) pom pom (where eyes will go).
- Glue eyes to felt.
- Cut a piece of felt to make a beak. I eyeballed it. Glue it to just under the eyes.
- For the wings, take feathers and glue to each side.
- You can add any additional items to make the hatch animal unique. You can look at these as examples.
- Take a pencil and your two different dot colors.
- Squeeze a little paint on a paper plate (yes, the one you just used for breakfast..lol).
- Dip writing part of the pencil into the paint and dot away. You could also use a fine tip paint brush as well. (Do one color and then the other.)
- Let egg dry, and write messages.
- Cut out strips of paper (leftover scrapbook paper would work great) and write your valentine message.
Here are a few messages to get you started:
- You are “egg”selent
- Will you be my lovebird?
- You and me make the perfect hatch.
- You are Magical
- I’m really hatching onto you.
- You crack me up.
- It’s no mystery, I like you.
- Valentine’s Day is for the birds…love birds.
- I’m wild about you.
- Tweet Heart
Don’t forget to have your child sign their name.
Place the animal and message inside each egg and you are set to go.
Not only is this a fun Valentine but it’s one your kiddo can help make.
Here are a few other posts we think you will LOVE.
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from you so be sure to leave us a comment. Also, don’t forget to pin to save this project or share it with others.