Welcome back to the One Room Challenge – Budget Office Renovation Extravaganza.
Last week on Salvage Sister and Mister, I advised that The Mister’s co-worker gave us a free round dining table. I’ve been debating whether or not to use it as a desk. The desk in my design board is a good price, but it’s money we really shouldn’t be spending at this point.
On Instagram, I discussed our budget as tight as a boa constrictor. This makes following the design board a little challenging and fun and interesting.
(You are suppose to put up a pretty image right at the top, but I got nothing. #rulebreaker)
The thought was to make the desk ourselves and……………..turns out it would be more money to make.
Since I have a case of decorating ADD, I have to be very careful about spending money on stuff that I’m not sure will last my whims (whether we build it or make it).
AND…………….that leads us back to the table.
The decision has been made to use it, at least for now.
Here’s what’s been done this week (basically a lot of circles):
- Moved the loveseat out by myself. I thought I had a buyer only it didn’t work out so it sat in the screened in porch area/craft room. RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALKAWAY…nice!
- Moved the loveseat back in!!!! (UGH)
- Removed one of the area rugs.
- Moved the other rug around and discovered we aren’t doing a good job vacuuming after all…the dust bunnies did what bunnies do!
- Got some chalk paint for the table (see disclaimer below)
- Bought some wall art at a local thrift store.
- A chair makeover started
- Spent WAY TOO MANY hours at Lowe’s trying to decided what to make for shelves. The idea was to do wood and cinder blocks but felt it a little too college dorm room. The thought went to building crates. We were standing in the aisles so long people were commenting. AND The Mister was throwing around numbers like no tomorrow….
The Mister- “So we would need 36 and 3 and 24 and 1 by ……………”
Me- “Okay, you need to stop with all these numbers.”
I’m a visual person. I needed to see it so I went and grabbed some bins from the storage aisle to simulate the size. After all was said and done, we came home with all our supplies. I then picked up a crate that we had gotten at Michael’s for something else and it was the perfect size..ugh! ..C I R C L E S
**Furniture Painting Disclaimer – I really do like the table unpainted but since the table has some issues and it was free, I decided to paint (unless something changes). I understand you may be seriously anti painting…sorry in advance. Send any hate mail to email@example.com
What I need to do this week:
- Finish the chair (tutorial will be next week)
- Paint the table
- Finish up the shelves
- Take other lumber back to Lowe’s
- Finish staining crates (Using this in Provencial)
- Stop going in circles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you next week with a thrift store chair tutorial. Just wait til you see what it use to look like!!!!
Here is another budget remove makeover we did –